What document helps professionals and lay people make decisions about older adults’ driving capabilities?
Read the “Should doctors stop patients from driving?” article posted for this week. Many of the physical changes discussed in the materials for this week can cause an elderly individual to have difficulty driving. This article discusses when and why it might make sense to take away an older adult’s keys. After reviewing the course materials and reading this article, respond to the following:
1. What document helps professionals and lay people make decisions about older adults’ driving capabilities? What organizations were involved in creating this document?
2. How do various states handle the issue of elderly drivers?
3. Which of the physical changes covered this week could result in dangerous driving?
4. What would be your recommendations to states in making decisions about how to work with elderly drivers?
5. How might taking away an older adult’s right to drive impact other aspects of successful aging (social, emotional)?
References: APA Citation:
Should Doctors Stop Patients From Driving? – The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Aging: What to expect – Mayo Clinic